The Municipal Origin mark rather than a mark of quality is the identity card of a product, a certification which binds a product / production to its historical place of origin.
In other words it is a notarial certificate marked by the Mayor after a municipal resolution which certifies, with few and simple parameters, the place of “birth” and “growth” of a product that has a strong and significant identity value for a community.
It is a conscious initiative that many municipalities in Italy have conceived as a means of protecting their own productions and the endogenous development of its territory, but also as a means to promote outside the cultural and historical specificities of its territory.
Products De.Co. of Petralia Sottana:
- Madonie’s oregano
- Cucchia of Petralia Sottana (figs and jam sweets)
- Guasteddi friuti (fried sweet bread)
- Bocconcini of Petralia Sottana (creamy sweets)
- U Manciari i San Giuseppe (St Joseph meal)
- Acieddi cu l’ova e Cannilieri di Pasqua (Easter’s sweets)
- Amaretti (bitter almond sweets)
- Torroncini (almond sweets)
- Sfoglio of Petralia Sottana (traditional cheese cake)